Sunday, July 5, 2009

Scrub a Dub

Well, I had an eventful Sunday--if your idea of eventful is banishing dust, dirt, and debris. Let's just say it involved microfiber cloth, extension cords, my versatile EnviroVac, a step stool, and tons of elbow grease. I'm worn out, but today resulted in a feeling of accomplishment.

As I cleaned my way through our more-cluttered-by-the-day house, I realized two things. If you don't stay on top of dusting and editing, things have a tendency to get away from you...and quick. Also, my mom is way too sentimental and holds on to too many tchotchkes. Empty space means nothing in this household. Here are a few of said trinkets:


These are some of her porcelain dolls. She's thinks they're precious and valuable. I think they're creepy. Plus, I don't care what anyone says; their eyes follow you. One is actually a Christmas tree topper. See if you can pick her out.


Another doll. This one is a clown. How funny. She's guarding a golden scroll glass shelf thingy last seen on the set of Dynasty. Notice that every inch of space is covered.

And speaking of things from the 80s...it's one of the two now infamous geese that patrol the kitchen. I have been pleading with my mom since the first Bush Administration to take these down. No, she argues. They're from Home Interiors. They're expensive. I can't disagree with the first point, but I always have to highlight the fact that they were expensive. 20 years ago. And yeah. That's wood paneling. Be jealous.

In light of a charity yard sale that my sister is involved in, I finally convinced our clingy mother to part with the geese. Of course that does leave two empty spaces on the walls, and I just don't know how we're going to deal with it. But it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment